Time and again, digital marketers know the relevance and impact product reviews have on SEO. Ranking your website with keywords and alt-tags isn’t sufficient anymore. Customers are always on the lookout for genuine feedback of other users/influencers about a product or service, which is why reviews matter more than ever. This guide from the SEO experts give you more information about the latest algorithm update for product reviews:
About the March 2022 Algorithm Update:
After the first product review update that went live in April 2021 and a second update in December 2021, Google has now put out a third update in March 2022. This time around, the update will pay emphasis on higher quality product reviews for better SEO results.
Google also announced that the new update is slowly rolling out in the coming weeks and will initially target English language reviews published in several websites.
4 New Guidelines for Writing Product Reviews:
Google lists a few important guidelines that one must follow while writing product reviews:
- Product reviews should only be written by those who have actually used a product or service. In case of a product, the person should explain the physical characteristics of the item and explain how it must be used.
- A review needs to include both the pros and cons of the product and explain how the said item works. The review should also explain how different the product is from its previous versions.
- A review should either list the feature(s) that make the product stand out from the rest or mention products that are similar to it.
- The review must disclose information about the product that were not mentioned by the manufacturer. An audio or video content that shows the reviewer’s experience with the product will be beneficial.
Guidelines for Writing Reviews of Multiple Products:
People have been sceptic as to whether the product algorithm SEO update also applies to reviews of multiple products. Well, Google has confirmed that the update is applicable for multiple product reviews, such as ranked lists and product comparisons.
While writing reviews on multiple products (with the purpose of recommending the best product among the lot), be sure to include the following details:
- Explain what really makes the product different from the rest.
- There must be first-hand evidence to back up your claims.
- Describe why the product is perfect for a specific purpose/use case.
While reviewing multiple products, Google recommends that there’s sufficient unique content for each of the product in the list, rather than repeating the same points throughout the content. Additionally, Google mentions that there’s nothing wrong in writing individual reviews for products, even if they were talked about in ranked lists.
3 Ways to Optimise Your Product Reviews Site for Good Ranks:
Besides following the new guidelines & complying with the latest algorithm update, following these tips from the SEO consultants will be helpful in improving the rank of your review sites.
- Longer, Informative Reviews Always Work:
You might have already heard how longform content can really help in improving your web page rank. The same principle does apply for product reviews as well. Search engines always prioritise longer content, mainly because of the fact that users find well-researched content more useful.
By offering a detailed review of a product or service, you increase the chances of your website ranking higher in SERPs. Short reviews don’t give out enough information about a product and that’s not going to help a customer either. So never skimp on the length of your content and give out a detailed review that actually helps customers make a purchase decision.
- Write an Accurate and Detailed Product Description:
A customer interested in a product would want to know the specifics of the same. This is also why they want to check product reviews before making a purchase. While reading your review, customers should be able to understand the physical details of the product clearly. As mentioned earlier, adding photos and videos along with your text content will be even better.
Try to include as much information as possible about the functionality of a product, if this is something important to a customer. While you can provide your own opinion about the performance of a product, it should also include data that helps with a customer’s research. For instance, if you are reviewing a smartphone, you can perform a battery drain test and reveal the results to let the customers know how good or bad the battery capacity/performance is.
- Let Them Know You Are an Expert in the Subject:
When you are writing product reviews for anything, it is necessary to let the readers or viewers know that you have great expertise on the same. For instance, if you are a reviewer covering video games, you must be someone who stays abreast of everything that’s happening in the gaming industry.
Millions of people online give their opinions on several products or services, but not all of them are true. Customers rely on a trusted expert’s opinion when they are hesitant to make a purchase. This is why you should show your readers that you have expert knowledge on the subject and are qualified to give product reviews.
Need assistance in ranking your website? Talk to a reputable SEO company today!